About Me

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Running With Scissors

Ok, I don't run with scissors. But, I also don't run with a Garmin, a GPS watch, a heart rate monitor, the adidas micoach, or a homing device. Once upon a time, I ran with the Nike Sportband.
Then, I noticed I was mostly staring at the thing most of my runs (mostly my pace and then internally yelling at myself, "WHY CAN'T YOU MOVE FASTER."). So around April 2010 I ditched the sportsband and went sans any timing device. It took some getting used to at first, and a couple of times I actually looked at my wrist to find nothing was there, but I started to really like just running by feel -- if I felt like running fast, I ran fast; if I felt like running slow, I ran slow. (Most of the time, it was the latter).

Around July, I got a watch. Since then, I've really only used it to time myself for workouts or if I'm running for a certain prescribed time. Other than that, I never time myself. So, if you ask me what pace I run at or how long it takes me to run 5 miles, I have no idea. I'm sorry. I enjoy running this way...it takes all of the judgement out of running (at least for me). Running without timing myself is probably the most hippy, zen-like thing I do (other than that, pretty straight-laced, structured, scheduled, organized, do not deviate from schedule, etc...)

I don't think I'll ever go Garmin (but, like Justin Bieber says, "never say never"), but, first of all, I don't think I can run with this monstrosity on my wrist:


I run slow enough as it is. Every ounce counts. That thing definitely is gonna cause some wind drag. Also, I know those things beep at you if you set them to do so if you go over some pace. I'm sure I would do this and then at some point, when I'm angry mid-run, would yell back at it (something like "OMG. SHUT UP! I AM TRYING TO GO FASTER") causing me to look like a psychopath running in NYC, which, come to think of it, wouldn't be so out of place. Finally, I think I'd rather spend my money on manis/pedis and cabs than a Garmin. So, unless someone has a compelling argument for why a ginormous Garmin watch helps them, I'm gonna pass.

Recently, I've thought about bringing the ol' sportband back again. I think sometimes I may go TOO slow because I know I won't know how fast I'm running anyways. I think bringing it back may make me run faster instead of slacking off just enjoying the scenery and people watching in NYC. And, maybe, it would make me a better runner (Hmm...). I also want to challenge people on Nike+, including Lauren Fleshman (http://asklaurenfleshman.com). I just need to figure out a challenge I could win. Hmmmm....

If anyone reads this in succession (doubtful), I did run those 10 miles and then used it to justify a cheeseburger and fries. Plus, it was Memorial Day...what else am I supposed to eat on Memorial Day?!? I then got a few hours off this afternoon, so Erika and I got our run on (and, hopefully, our tan on). And then I ate some cookie cake. It was a fabulous afternoon.

Anyone out there for or against watches, sportbands, Garmins, mi Coaches, etc?

4 comments:

  1. I only use my Garmin on long runs or tempo runs - it's kind of a pain to load satellites in NYC and sometimes I'd rather *not* know my pace (especially on easy days!)

    I have the Garmin Forerunner 210 and the 305 and I agree that the 305 IS a monstrosity. It always slides around on my wrist :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need it for tempo runs (the sportband) bc I suck at those and I need something to keep me accountable instead of slacking off! I don't know why a tempo run is so hard for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got my Garmin last week. Even though sometimes I realize I'm going slower than I thought, I love it so far and know it'll be especially helpful during marathon training. But I got by with a cheap Target watch for years. The only reason I ran with a watch at all before is because I only give myself an hour to run in the mornings, so sometimes I need to see how I'm doing in case I need to haul ass to get ready for work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave up watches a couple years ago. I found I enjoyed my runs less and less because I was so obsessed with how fast I was running. I can see how they are useful for doing speed work/fartleks

    ReplyDelete